A Prostitute's Prayer


I've come a long way Lord
When will my room see your light?
My demand among them grows by day
When will this suffering come to an end?

I remember your early morning whispers
I feel thy comfort when I scream in pain
When will you take me away, Lord?
I need your strength until then.

How did I get here?
You alone know my path
I still cherish that last glance of my child.
When will I see him again?

People who lived in this room before
I hear they never lived long
Mothers, lovers and wives
Have had their last breath here,
In this room where I'm crying from.

My body feels weak.
My heart is tired of beating.
Lord, my breasts have lost their luxury
My womb has become a funeral parlour.

I hear the next one at the door, knocking.
Lord, save me out of this waiting room,
This room that leads to death.

              - by Ebenezer Breman

Comments

Popular Posts